View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
bentring
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
JulianEdgar I knew the hard edge wasn't ideal and someone would call me out on it pretty quickly. My immediate goal was to make the trailer usable and adaptable over time. Unfortunately, aerodynamics take a lower spot on the requirement list for this project than utility and cost, but I did want to keep it as good as I could with my skills and available tools. I will probably test a few methods of rounding the edge later, but for now the existing basic shape is set in stone, err metal.

I considered attempting an Airstream type curved front but decided my metal skills weren't quite up to that, especially with limited materials. I've considered just making a curved plate to round the front corners over the existing hard edges from scrap pieces. I would like to build a bulkhead for extra storage similar to a tongue toolbox that could go to about where the gloves are that curves to the outside edges.

The trailer's only purpose has been to keep me having to own a truck for construction and taking off trash. I've been dragging the thing around for years with scaffolds just strapped to the aluminum plate that is now the main side walls.

I've seen that polymetal many times before from you freebeard. How well do you think it would hold up to abuse?