View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
bentring
EcoModding Lurker

Stream - '16 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 33.7 mpg (US)
Well ultimately what I'm making is a modified teardrop style enclosure with a lifting rear lid. I've been researching, brainstorming and mentally building since I got the thing. Being a construction trailer, I don't mind if it looks a bit rough so I can later test just about anything with flash metal and screws.

I didn't find many DIY teardrops I'm capable of making that have a modified front. Learning how to do fiberglass would be the ideal method if not for it getting ruined, and I've been putting off the project mainly because I didn't want to use traditional plywood with skin. I never even bothered to check the price on the polymetal long ago because I assumed it would be cost prohibitive. If I wasn't given the stainless I probably would just have simple stow away side rails with a tarp to be honest.

The only thing I could imagine myself building is similar to what you describe, and I could work it out in a later stage. A bulkhead with strips similar to how an airstream is constructed which I could double as storage. The hard edges will be getting a trim of some sort, and I've wondered if I could make it rounded and rather oversized...