View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Overtaking? What is that?
I'm happy if a slowpoke ahead gives me an excuse to slow down, and though I keep a respectable distance sometimes the wake can be noticed in extra reduced fuel consumption.

Then I have other reasons. I have tinnitus (whistling ears) and it gets worse with more external sound. And I like my car, am in no hurry to arrive at my destination to flee it.

I never have the feeling that I suffer from excess lift.
I do have instability in side wind though, which I think may be related to the rounded corners of the rear bumpers (where a Prius and many other cars now have a sharp fold) but it about vanishes with a mildly raised tire pressure at the back, especially when on 16" rims (versus the 15" narrow steels for my winter tires). It is an useful indicator now to the point where any instability makes me check tire pressure at the next stop, with a couple of hits (slow leak due to a screw in the tire!)

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-04-2020 at 11:57 AM..