View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
Since I learned that I could set my ScanGauge II to "Hybrid" to keep the meter on during engine-off coasts, I'm sure that helped my mileage; I think I'm getting better at EOCing. It also allows me to have two average gauges. 1: The On-Board computer, which I use for the overall average; 2: the SG2, which I'm using for the trip average. I haven't re-calibrated the SG2, but it's close. I've been making logs of trips for the last few tanks.

I re-filled yesterday, and netted 20.2 MPG. These last 3 tanks (all with Opti-Lube XL) were 20.3, 20.07, and 20.2 MPG. I'm still not sure if the Opti-Lube additive is helping much. Because I've been getting better at EOCing, that may account for the mileage being just over 20 MPG now.

When I filled up the tank yesterday, I also added 24 Oz (3/4 of a bottle) of Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase; the oil was a bit low, and I'm near oil change time. My overall average has increased over the last 83 miles to 21.5, but that's just over one day, and the engine had already been at 195 F when I filled the tank. I'm not surprised about a mileage increase, since the oil's thinner now; I also saw oil viscosity-dependent mileage differences when I was trying different oils in the Suburban.

Yesterday, I picked up a cheap tarp, to use as a grill block. It's not attached yet. I also picked up some silicone, for the roof rack delete. I'll probably make these changes before this tank's over, and then I'll change the oil maybe mid-tank or at the end of the tank.

EDIT: I removed the Roof Rack today. The bolts are still in the roof. After I sanded the rust off the bolt inserts and cleaned the roof, I put Silicone on the bolts to keep water out. I haven't driven the car yet.

EDIT 2: That tank, with the MMO in the crankcase for the whole tank and with the roof rack off for 353.2 of 437.1 miles, turned out to be a 20.62 MPG Tank.

Last edited by 101Volts; 09-18-2020 at 08:22 PM..