View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Having full control over the ride height is interesting.

First, I found through measurement that my preferred 'over 80 km/h' ride height was already best for both drag and downforce. (That height is just a little lower than the standard Honda ride height.) That's interesting, because even the standard Insight ride height is terrible in terms of ride and handling on my bumpy roads! (With steel springs I improved both by going to a higher ride height.) But with adjustable damping and rising rate springs (as rolling lobe air springs are), I can get away with it.

Second, lowering the car clearly improves stability in gusting crosswinds. That was more the case before I added the rear fins - before those, the better stability with the ride height drop was very noticeable.

Third, one of my favorite drives is on Highway 1, the main highway that joins Australia's capital cities on the east coast. (It's very much like the US interstates that I loved so much.) Highway 1 is the quickest route to my nearest major town, and so I jump on it, manually dial in lowest ride height, turn on the CB and listen to the trucks. Very funny.

There are also opportunities to explore things I haven't yet done. For example, at speed, I could program the system to lower the front more than the rear, ie change rake depending on speed. However, I have set up the auto changes in ride height to give me best ride and handling - and that in turn means maintaining enough bump clearance at all speeds (so no rake change).
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-09-2020)