View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
I would say that having poor information regarding air struts is an understatement.

Where did you find the specs for the struts that you have? I cannot find anything on that website regarding weight capacity, spring rate, or inches of travel/lift.

They have 10 universal kits, and so far the only difference I am seeing between them is the weight of the set. Their manual doesn't seem to include any extra details regarding specifications either.
Yep, welcome to the world of aftermarket air suspension.

Airlift don't have any proper specs available, and when I asked them for some, they told me that it was impossible to provide specs, because air springs don't work that way.

I then sent them a specs sheet from the Firestone air spring catalog (below)....

...and then Airlift simply stopped communicating with me.

So I was able to design the rear suspension properly (I used Firestone air springs) but had to just guess with the front struts. They proved too high in spring rate, and so I added parallel reservoirs to soften their rate. (But even that was made difficult, because Airlift use too small an air fitting to allow this to work as well as it could, and you cannot enlarge the fitting easily.)

My book covers stuff in more detail than I have seen elsewhere, but it is just a little book (if I ever do a second edition, I'll enlarge it a lot).

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-09-2020)