View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 05:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Nautilus
EcoModding Lurker

Simba - '05 Seat Leon FR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
You cannot just ascribe Cd reductions to a car based on what the change did on another car. (Same as you cannot just add Cd reductions together to get an assumed total reduction.)
Of course, this is why I didn't add them together and quote a precise number, just assumed a serious drop in Cd.

VAG judged, due to late-2000s experiments with eco versions of Audis and Skodas, that underbodies and suspension control arms fare much better if covered / plated over to achieve a surface as smooth as possible. Even if the suspension arm moves all the time, they still thought it needed a "fish-flipper" surface, compared to usual shape of suspension arms.

For Mk7 Golf there is a set of underpanels similar to my own, which can be retrofitted also to "non-eco" versions:

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

They also covered the exhaust bend before rear axle, which I didn't do - my pipes were too big and still needed some airflow under them to be safe.

2020 Audi A3 version of undertray set:

My setup is similar, but without the mid-car side panels, since the floor is "mostly" smooth.

Last edited by Nautilus; 09-16-2020 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: More info added
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautilus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-16-2020)