Thread: Meausring lift
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Meausring lift

My 16 year old son has bought a car and, as the young often want to do, desires the largest rear wing available for it - the one fitted to the STi version.

His car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza RS, like this one:

Note that it already has a rear spoiler.

This is the wing he has bought:

It does appear to have an actual wing profile, and the end plates should act as fins, moving the lateral centre of pressure backwards.

This convinced me to donate $100 to the project, if I could aero test the car. The agreement was made, and so today I fitted a rear suspension height sensor to his car.

I use P38 Range Rover suspension height sensors - about 20 pounds (US$25) each on eBay UK.

Fitting is fiddly but not hard. I used two new 6mm balljoints (mine didn't come with the extra links). After this pic was taken, I slipped a piece of bike inner tube over the ball joints and link to keep the dust out.

I am using this circuit to smooth the output. It costs almost nothing and uses just a few passive components. The adjustment pot (being used as a variable resistor) adjusts the averaging time. It's needed to get an average ride height.

The 5V is supplied by a regulated cigarette socket phone charger and the signal is read by a multimeter.

I intend measuring rear ride height of the car with:
  • no rear spoiler
  • the small rear spoiler
  • the large wing

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-16-2020), California98Civic (09-17-2020), Gasoline Fumes (09-11-2020)