Thread: Lift
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
70-mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
It's really funny one. If you never drive over 80 km/h - 50 mph - I wouldn't worry about lift figures at all. Not at all.

But if you drive at 110 km/h - about 70 mph - then I think it becomes really important. Especially with, as you say, headwinds and humps. And even more so, with overtaking.

Between where I live (hamlet: population 150) and the nearest town (population: 1000) there is 10km (6m) of empty road where sometimes I drive very fast. It has a hump over a corner where the the car can get very light indeed. Then, having downforce is excellent.

But it's a bit like any area of car modification.
  • If you haven't experienced the difference that varying levels of acceleration throttle enrichment can make, you might assume: who cares?
  • If you haven't experienced the difference that varying levels of power steering assistance can make, you might assume: who cares?
  • If you haven't experienced the difference that varying levels of suspension damping can make, you might assume: who cares?

And so on.

Being able to change car behavior and then see how it feels is almost always a revelation.

It's exactly the same with lift/downforce.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Lift by itself is not a serious problem in the current passenger vehicle at highway speeds ( 70-mph ).' Kent B. Kelly, Harry J. Holcombe, General Motors Styling Staff, SAE Paper No. 649A, 1963, SAE Congress.