Thread: Meausring lift
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 04:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Shame, I was curious how much a gap like that is just marketing-wank.
I haven't done any measurement but I would think the boundary layer is so thick back there that the gap basically acts as if it isn't there. Here are some pics of a local car after driving on wet dirt roads that seems to support that idea of no / very low flow:

Quote:
Would you mind translating the voltages to force? (Just by lifting some weights in and out of the trunk)
I have done that extensively on my Insight (and all the data on this has already been published) but the damping and springs on the Impreza are too firm to easily do this statically.

I could do it dynamically (with weights in the boot) but to be honest, I can't be bothered.

The big wing provides downforce, and that's good enough for Alexander and me. All he wants to do now is finished sanding it back and painting it!

Basically, I hope this shows for all those people who spend all their time sitting behind a computer and arguing and guessing, how easy and cheap it is to measure real aero data...

Literally, about a day's work and under US$75...

(...and of course that measuring gear can be fitted to almost any car - you can use it for the rest of your life....)

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 09-12-2020 at 04:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-16-2020)