View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #414 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

Monkeying around...

On a lark I bought a Honda Monkey. Why? I have no idea. It was one of those spur-of-the-moment purchases and the first time I've bought a motorcycle without a specific purpose for it.

Here's where it gets interesting. I rode it around and found it to be a very practical motorcycle and very comfortable. When the opportunity to ride it to Tennessee from Indy came up I jumped on it and covered 776 miles over three days.

So why am I telling you this? Without any sort of attempts at aerodynamics the bike consistently returned 113 to 121 MPH running along at around 50 MPH. On the way home I got off the highway and followed country roads back to Indy. When I gassed up today I found I'd gotten over 127 MPG!!!

If this little bugger does this well with me hanging out there like a sail imagine what could be done with one fully streamlined.

By the way mine is box-stock save for a Takegawa cat-less replica pipe and a Takegawa foam filter assembly that replaces the stock air cleaner element in the stock air box on which I mounted a thicker piece of UNI filtering foam.

I'm still extremely ignorant about how Honda's PGM-FI works (although I'm trying to find and read everything I can about it) but I can say as a matter of fact this system offers incredible fuel mileage.

Somebody build a streamliner and go win a Vetter competition.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodsrat For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (05-26-2021)