View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #84 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
In my simple mind list can only happen if the pressure underneath is greater than the pressure over the top. (Under > over). Maybe it's simplistic but I'm seeing a wing "at rest" as under = over. Is my thinking so far correct?
It doesn't matter what the pressures are in absolute terms: it matters what they are compared to each other. That is, if the pressure on the top is lower than the pressure underneath, of course the pressure underneath is higher than the pressure on top.

Quote:

Assuming a wing moving through the air at X mph, is the air moving under the wing equal to x and the air moving over the wing > x ? Or is it the other way around with the air over the wing equal to x and the air under the wing <x ? I'm assuming the former only because the air under would be relatively flat and the air over being the variable because of the "detour" it has to make over the top to reach the same point on the trailing edge?

Or is that the crux of the nit being picked?
You're back to discussing theories of lift, which as I said, is not at all straightforward and still causes debate among professional aerodynamicists. I see it a bit like debating why gravity occurs, rather than just working with the forces caused by gravity.