View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
inviscid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Can you provide me with a reference for that? I've not seen 'inviscid' used to mean that (except in what you write).
Neither 'inviscid' nor 'ideal fluid' can be found in the INDEX, page 560, of Hucho's 2nd-Ed,
I did find inviscid used in Hucho's 2nd-Ed at:
page-49,59, 50, 51, 52.
The term ' ideal inviscid' occurs only on page 52.
p. 49, ' Provided no flow separation takes place ( the template ), the viscous effects in the fluid are restricted to a thin layer of a few millimeters thickness, called the boundary layer. Beyond this layer the flow is inviscid and its pressure is imposed on the boundary layer.' Professor Dietrich Hummel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Daugherty and Franzini:
* page 279, ( Re boundary layer) ' outside of this layer the fluid can be considered as frictionless or ideal... allowing that the mathematical theory of ideal fluid flow can be used to determine the streamlines in the real fluid at a short distance away from a solid wall / boundary / surface. ( qualitative! )
* page 87, Bernoulli theorem, for a frictionless incompressible fluids with good results in situations where frictional effects are very small ( template ).