View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
Yep, just guessing a random mod based on tuft behavior. I will say that both mods are moderately-to-very common on Priuschat, but to my knowledge have never been measured by anyone using them (although Altered 1 is often claimed to "improve downforce" by people who fit it on their Prius).

I thought so too. I could see some of the movement of the outermost tufts that the camera didn't pick up so well, but I'll comment on what I think is happening after I pressure test (if that confirms what I suspect).
Yes, could be some trailing vortex development down the pillars.

Quote:

Bingo! Almost exactly right--I taped a 21mm high lip to the top edge of the window:

Glad I got it right! And it may well reduce lift - but at a penalty of lots of drag.

Quote:
Yes, this one is more difficult. There's no disruption to the baseline flow pattern, but the tufts toward the trailing edge of the window are behaving slightly differently. (Actually, now that I look again the tufts at the leading edge have changed behavior slightly as well).
Now that I know it's a common mod, I'd suggest (un-needed) vortex generators have been added at the top of the window.