View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Neither 'inviscid' nor 'ideal fluid' can be found in the INDEX, page 560, of Hucho's 2nd-Ed,
I did find inviscid used in Hucho's 2nd-Ed at:
page-49,59, 50, 51, 52.
The term ' ideal inviscid' occurs only on page 52.
p. 49, ' Provided no flow separation takes place ( the template ), the viscous effects in the fluid are restricted to a thin layer of a few millimeters thickness, called the boundary layer. Beyond this layer the flow is inviscid and its pressure is imposed on the boundary layer.' Professor Dietrich Hummel.
So, the diagram on Page 49 shows flow nothing like that on any modern car. Nor does the quote in Hucho actually mention the template, nor any shape like it. You are yet again misquoting.

You didn't bother quoting Hucho Page 52, that talks about the "considerable difference" between an idealised model using inviscid fluid and the real world.

I can't see any mention of inviscid on page 59.

Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles (5th edition) has a major section on inviscid flow - much too big to summarise here.

However, a key point made early in the section (Page 94) is that where airflow wraps around a curve ("where the streamlines are curved") a force is developed that acts outwardly (an "outward oriented centrifugal force").

So yes, I have learnt something - inviscid flow is responsible for the low pressures we can measure where attached airflow wraps around curves.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-23-2020)