View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 04:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
OTOH, every house in the last 30 years is wrong, excepting the hemisphere with oculus.

(my parents', not the one I lived in)
Sorry, I don't really see it.

I am not saying the cars (ie the house) was/were wrong.

I am saying that analysing modern aerodynamics on the basis of car shapes that are often 60+ years old is not a good idea.

Nor is pretending we have learnt nothing about car aero since the 1930s/1950s/1960s/1980s.

It would be a bit like taking the contemporaneous 1960s state of the art analysis of the house that you show - and applying it today. So no IR temperature analysis, no air leakage tests, no modern insulating materials or selective coatings on solar heaters, etc. Let alone discussions of embodied energy, etc.

I have absolutely no issue with Aerohead choosing not to keep up with current car aero thinking. But I have major issues with his continually misleading people on the basis of his outdated ideas and understandings.

If he qualified his comments ("This is what I read 40 years ago and I am not sure it is still current") then that would be fine. But in fact he actively rejects any more recent references and/or tests.

And that isn't fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-23-2020), MeteorGray (09-19-2020)