View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
It would be a bit like taking the contemporaneous 1960s state of the art analysis of the house that you show - and applying it today. So no IR temperature analysis, no air leakage tests, no modern insulating materials or selective coatings on solar heaters, etc. Let alone discussions of embodied energy, etc.
I understand it is an analogy. You describe an analysis i'd love to see applied.

The design is from first principles, promoting a toroidal air flow inside and low surface area outside. A 1950s design built in 1980. If I were to design it today, instead of plywood and cedar shakes, it would be stainless steel. With Gorilla glass/electrochromic windows.

Still, my parents were somewhat ahead of their peers. It had a passive solar hot water system, but their subcontractor (he drove down from Dallas, OR, and had a cowboy hat with a feather rosette on the headband. Never trust a contractor in a cowboy hat) built a flawed system and the 2nd owners took it out. You can see the shingles instead of hand-split shakes on the south-facing gable.