View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 03:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I understand it is an analogy. You describe an analysis i'd love to see applied.

The design is from first principles, promoting a toroidal air flow inside and low surface area outside. A 1950s design built in 1980. If I were to design it today, instead of plywood and cedar shakes, it would be stainless steel. With Gorilla glass/electrochromic windows.

Still, my parents were somewhat ahead of their peers. It had a passive solar hot water system, but their subcontractor (he drove down from Dallas, OR, and had a cowboy hat with a feather rosette on the headband. Never trust a contractor in a cowboy hat) built a flawed system and the 2nd owners took it out. You can see the shingles instead of hand-split shakes on the south-facing gable.
I am designing our solar house as we speak.

I've been interested in solar design for about 40+ years, and have been playing with solar things that long. Unfortunately, though, Covid has just absolutely killed our business (face-to-face training in high-level writing skills, but no face-to-face training now...) and so everything has been put on the back burner.

Still, we have the land (next door to where we currently live), and the concrete slab for my new workshop went in last week... so not all bad news!

Off-topic, but, here's the workshop slab:

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 09-20-2020 at 04:11 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-23-2020)