Thread: Lift
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
trying to suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I wish you wouldn't keep saying this - saying it repeatedly does not make it true. The Insight is a good example:

Are you still trying to suggest that the low pressures over the roof and hatch are caused by separated flow?
If you have the color photo from Honda, of the Insight undergoing smoke flow testing in their wind tunnel, you'll be able to discern compromised flow over the hatch.
Turbulence cannot conduct pressure. Even burble-point is problematic. Pressure over the entire hatch area takes on the pressure of the separation line if it exists. The closer the separation is to the suction peak, the lower the pressure over all the roof behind it.
Aside from that, do you see how the negative pressure is trending downwards as it's further removed from the suction peak near the windshield?
Should the aft-body continue as an extended structure, you'd see an inflexion point, where the pressure goes neutral, then positive.
Hucho said 'neutral' lift was fine for passenger cars. Even for sports cars ( with caveats ).
As a BEV, the Insight would have a perfect belly pan and diffuser, which could easily address rear lift. The 'template' has a perfect belly and diffuser.
I own this car. I've never experienced objectionable driving behavior.
A neighbor's father in law, from which I bought the car, obtained 3-Wheeler's Insight boat-tail and 80-mpg HWY is not uncommon for him. And he reports no adverse driving behavior.
skyking (09-23-2020)