View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #51 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
blisters and canopies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I've struggled to find real life examples of 1:10 ratio canopies and blisters as advocated by Aerohead's references to text books such as Hucho.

I mean when we see a 2-part body canopy on a solar racer or fighter aircraft and it's 1:5 ratio at best one has got to think that last little bit of theoretical air attachment is an idealized goal and not an actual design recommendation.

Just say'n there is a disconnect.
The only example in Hucho's 2nd-Edition would be Table 2.1, on page 61, at the bottom of the table, depicting the 2.5:1 streamlined body of revolution cut in half longitudinally to form a half-body of L/h = 5, and Cd 0.09, all data from Hoerner.
If you want the straight skinny, you need a 1951 copy of AERODYNAMIC DRAG, self-published by Sighard Hoerner, OTTERBEIN PRESS, USA.
Hoerner worked at Messerschmitt for the Third Reich, and was brought to the US as an Operation Paperclip, person of interest, as was Professor Kamm.
There's everything in there to design an aircraft.
Hoerner also personally aero-modded a car, replacing the body with a Jaray body, cutting drag from Cd 0.85, to Cd 0.25.
Cd 0.10 railroad trains as well. And Cd 0.08 self-powered railcars. It's like an aero Bible.