Thread: Lift
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #44 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you'd actually read Hucho's book you'd be stuck with the same conclusions.
Aeronautical engineer Larry Mauro doesn't know anything about automotive aerodynamics, although his friend Peter Brock certainly does.
My college chum Glenn got his Master's degree in aeronautical engineering from NASA, but it doesn't qualify him for automotive aerodynamics.
None of the car companies your associates worked for have generated novel low drag cars. The only reason Tesla gets a pass is because it doesn't have the cooling system and belly mutilations of a conventional ICE vehicle, otherwise, they're no better than a 1989 Opel Calibra.
Other than the popular literature, or what can be gleaned from online, my income precludes me from staying abreast of contemporary professional developments, however, the fundamentals don't change.
In 1986 Hucho thought the future would produce a Cd 0.20 car. In 1987, the Cd 0.19 Impact debuted. Hell of a ride! The future moved fast! I recommend we catch up to the past.
I'll just repeat what I previously wrote:

Unfortunately, Aerohead has built entire theories on faulty and / or outdated premises, and then extrapolated them to the point where a great deal that he writes is completely wrong. (Not everything, but a lot.)

He then denigrates the real experts. Who? Well, he has made adverse comments here on a number of aerodynamicists, including the head of Porsche aero, the head of Jaguar aero, an F1 aerodynamicist, a former Tesla aerodynamcist - and so on.

So he doesn't read current aero literature, and doesn't want to learn from real experts.

That's not a good combination for giving people advice!

And about this:

Quote:
Other than the popular literature, or what can be gleaned from online, my income precludes me from staying abreast of contemporary professional developments
That's fine: but the trouble is you refuse to learn from people who are keeping up with things!