View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #35 (permalink)
Deezler
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_eric View Post
Yeah my driving style i know hurts. I drive a company van all day at work and sometimes i just want to get on it and hear the exhaust lol. And honesty i only drive it like 5k miles a year. I need new tires coming up and am going to switch away from the all terrains to some highway treads.
Driving style is the easy one, man! coast, coast, coast.

DFCO is tough in these trucks, mine has to be above 60mph when starting a coast down or it wont even bother. My scan gauge has taught me that when cruising a back road at 55mph, it is actually beneficial to accelerate gently to ~62 first before a coming turn or stop sign, to coast down on DFCO as much as possible.

Tires are huge too. When I got my 20" wheels, I really wanted some K02 all terrains for style and off-road capability. But you know what? Michelin LTX M/S tires are just as capable with fresh tread, and then you get completely QUIET driving and definitively better mpg. My 265/60/20 LTXs were only $215/tire, too. Highly recommend.

I'm surprised your electric fans didn't help more. That job is still on my list, contemplating doing it at the same time as a cam-swap. An LT1 or LS2 cam would really wake up the 6.0L LQ4, and presumably not hurt mpg - need to further verify that part though.