View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
FWD works good in the northern states, but RWD is just a PITA, I don't care how good your traction and stability programs are.
Having grown up in Michigan driving RWD and FWD vehicles I respectfully disagree. A front engine / FWD car has an advantage accelerating on straight and flat roads because the typical FWD car has 60 % of the weight over the front wheels while a front engine / RWD car has 50% or less weight over the rear wheels. With an EV the weight is much more likely to be 50 / 50 or even rear biased eliminating the traction advantage for FWD vehicles.

If you throw hills into the mix FWD is a disadvantage because going up hills shifts weight away from the drive wheels. I’ve had to back up hills in snow with FWD cars due to this.

Once curves get thrown into the mix I hate FWD cars and the way they slide into the oncoming lane if the front wheels break traction. Give me rear wheel slides any day over losing steering when the front wheels spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
So I only compare prices of the AWD versions if there isn't a FWD version. Basically I'd prefer a FWD Tiguan over a RWD ID4, plus we don't get a state incentive. If the Rav4 prime was ramped up to exceed demand that may be the all around best. 80% of the time, maybe more battery only, and when you need a longer trip it's ready to do that without drama as well.
The RAV4 Prime is in contention for me as well. It will depend where we are in life in 4 years when it comes time to replace our VW Sportwagen.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-09-2020), freebeard (09-25-2020), NeilBlanchard (09-26-2020), redpoint5 (09-27-2020)