View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Over fenders/aero widebody

This seems random especially since I’ve been absent a while but I’m about to shift back to commuting a long distance to work and highway fuel efficiency will be of paramount importance, and I’m planning a set of mods to my Saturn to reduce drag even further than in its current form.

My first thought was to redo my rear wheel skirts, partly because they’re getting tired and worn and partly to improve on the design. Having read about the new Mini Cooper GP and it’s fender flares being described as setting off from the body, and I had an idea. Instead of partial wheel skirts that don’t cover the entire wheel or skirts that curve sharply outward to cover the wheels at expense of having the curves to add drag, have a large flat panel set off from the body of the car by, say, an inch. Being not sealed to the body it should add little frontal area, prevent turbulence from the wheelwell, and could be extended rearward to sharpen the radius of the rear end for better separation. If I decided to implement this in the front, the panel being offset from the body by an inch, I could close off the front and top portion of the wheel well a little and probably make the front edge of the panel into an intake for a full height wheel air curtain.

... or am I totally crazy? Opinions? I mean it would prob take me at least 2 sheets of coroplast to make and whatever I use to stand the panels off from the body

My last Ecotec project...
The Following User Says Thank You to 19bonestock88 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-30-2020)