View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I'll race ya'll around town after a big snowstorm in my Grand Caravan and we'll just see.

With a FWD car you definitely can bias the weight on the drive wheels and have no abnormal handling effects. All this 50/50 is great if you running a road course, but around town you stop, go, and turn 90 degree corners. Anything running on the edge of handling is driving like a fool. That said, this is what makes a Subaru so popular up north. You can drive like a fool and it's very forgiving and at least you aren't carrying 3 tons of weight around when you slam into the side of that other family's car.

So does the ID4 have rear weight bias?
Better handling is always better even if you don't use it every day. It is about safety and the better a car handles the more you have in reserve.

My commute to work is not all stop and go and 90 degree turns. It also has some steep sections that are hard to climb in a FWD car even with snow tires.

The weight bias of the ID.4 has not been disclosed. The ID.3 is 50/50. Considering the ID.4 has a larger rear overhang I would expect it to carry more weight on the rear wheels but time will tell.

Another benefit of RWD that I didn't think of but that is mentioned in a lot of the ID.3 reviews is the turning radius. Without a motor in front the wheels can turn farther giving a better turning radius. The ID.3 has a turning circle of 10.2 meters. That is less than the much smaller VW Polo that only manages 10.6 meters.

Just one of the fun hairpin turns on my commute:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Germantown Road.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	29232  
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-28-2020)