View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #51 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
How do you explain the 100% atmospheric pressure acting on the nose of a 1968 Volkswagen Transporter?
I'm looking at Figure 6.8, Hucho.
How do you explain the 100% atmospheric pressure acting on the nose of the circa 1936, Jaray car, Figure 9.4, page 160, AERODYNAMIC DRAG, Horner, 1951. Hucho uses the 1960s edition of the book.
How do you explain the 100% atmospheric pressure acting on the nose of a L/D= 5.5, streamline body of revolution, depicted in the same book?
How do you explain the 100% atmospheric pressure acting on the nose of the body depicted in Figure 2.4, page 51, Hucho, ( which is 100% accurate for the first 85.5% of the body) ?
Figure 6.8, Hucho. I am seeing the stagnation pressure on the front face of the VW bus, and high pressure on the very slightly tilted windscreen. To suggest these forces are major forces offsetting lift is simply wrong - they are acting almost completely horizontally. Note how large the suction is as the airflow wraps around onto the roof, and subsequently, there is in fact no positive pressure anywhere along the whole rest of the vehicle!

Figure 2.4 Hucho we've already covered - as the caption says, it's a 2D schematic for a vehicle-shaped body in inviscid flow. That's not actually a real car in real air.

Basically, Aerohead's theories - or the way he applies them - are very frequently wrong, I am afraid.

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-02-2020)