View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #323 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

I had money down for a CT but got disgusted with American Honda refusing to commit to bringing it to the U. S. and seriously considered buying a Super Cub instead. I even ordered up a billet rack and a shop manual for one so I could be studying it.

Boy, am I glad I did. These things are the two wheeled version of a Honda Acura. They have lots of high tech features like ABS and it's "keyless" ignition and these gizmos add a lot of complication to what should be a relatively simple motorcycle. Underneath the plastic that makes it look like an old pressed steel step through is a tubular framed motorcycle (a good thing) with miles and miles of wiring and electronic do-dads that complicate anyone trying to repair it.

My fear for bikes like the Super Cub and the new CT is that while they'll have the usual Honda reliability once out of warranty it won't take much of a repair to "total" a bike, i. e., it's repair cost exceeding the bike's resale value. Unless you're an electronics technician and possess the patience of Job chasing problems on bikes like the Cub and CT isn't going to be much fun given that everything is hidden under a layer of plastic.

This is one reason I ended up buying the Monkey instead of the Super Cub or CT. While it's F. I. system is still pretty much a "hands off" thing for the home mechanic at least everything is exposed and relatively easy to access much like a bike from the 70's. It's 113 to 127 MPG on a recent trip really impressed me and it proved to be amazingly comfortable.

If the threads I've read are any indication the CT-125 is going to be an incredibly popular bike and will sell well in the U. S. I really thought I wanted one, too until I read the Super Cub shop manual.