View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
sgtlethargic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I try not to be negative but what you're discussing is a monumental ask - good safety, better fuel economy than almost any car ever made, needs to be based in some way on an older car.... it's just starting to sound impossible.

It certainly would be impossible for me!
Most, if not all, car makers' main goal is to make the most profit possible by selling as many cars as they can. They do that by appealing to things other than fuel economy and environmental awareness. Their engineers' limits come from these sales requirements. I am not limited by these; I am limited by physics. The physics says that the drag coefficient, frontal area, weight, and engine are the four main variables I can work on minimizing. If I minimize the first three, then I can minimize the last one, and probably still have decent acceleration.

How many miles per gallon did the VW XL1(?) achieve? How many miles per gallon do you think the BOcruiser would get with an ICE with its 0.135 drag coefficient? How difficult would it be to copy the BOcruiser? Maybe they'd send me the CAD files.

I'm shooting for 100 mpg at 60 mph, in the long run. It'd be something if I achieved 60 mpg at 60 mph.