Thread: nuclear plants
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Nuclear power plants put out about 1/3 the carbon that a natural gas plant does:
Says a study that's probably from the same think tank that "proved" that a Hummer has less environmental impact than a Prius :-) Which shows that the intellectually dishonest can "prove" anything they want by careful selection of facts, and the gullible will believe, because it's what they want to believe.

Try thinking about some of those claims. Seems to me that the amount of concrete needed to build a nuclear plant isn't all that different from what it takes to build a coal-fired plant of the same size (or for that matter to pour concrete footings for enough wind turbines to generate the same amount of power), and in either case is utterly trivial compared to lifetime generation & emissions. (Otherwise, it wouldn't be profitable to build the plant.) Likewise, t takes about the same effort to mine one ton of coal as it does to mine a ton of uranium ore, but you have to mine maybe 0.001 times as many tons for the same amount of power. Then there's the transport: the fuel to run a nuclear plant for a year can be hauled on a few semis, while your coal plant will have long trains pulling in every damn day...