View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 03:48 AM   #82 (permalink)
M_a_t_t
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I know some people who have posted here can see straight through his crap, but (and I respect their choice) they choose to walk away - why bother wasting time trying to counter the rubbish?
I believe part of this is that we (myself included) don't have the knowledge to know whats right or wrong and lack the resources (and/or gumption) to confirm. As well as some don't really care about car aero, they just want results. In that regard it doesn't matter if something gets separation on the roof if adding a kammback gets you an extra 5 mpg.

Not commenting on validity/content of anyone's posts, but I find aerohead's post very hard to read due to formatting and sometimes the verbiage. Akin to trying to read a masters degree level chemistry book when you are taking a freshman level chemistry course. You recognize some of it, but can't really understand what the text is saying.

Julian's posts are usually much easier to understand. I can also appreciate that he won't come right out and say what to do. Often only offer a quick summary of relevant resources and offer a personal opinion.

I believe that to be part of the "misinformation" (not commenting on content of posts remember ) as well. Some people (not on ecomodder, everyone everywhere) just want to be told what to do rather than think about it. I find myself looking for that sometimes depending on the topic. For example, when I posted about the stock spoiler on my car in this thread: "Excellent paper on rear spoilers?. No one offered any advice of what to do in this case, but when I took the time to think about it and posted what I thought both provided their opinions and some examples of cars I might use as an example of modifications I could try.

I try to remember that this is an internet forum and as such you can't take what anyone says as 100%. Cross reference, experiment, get results, and share them with everyone. If you don't do testing then you are simply imitating or repeating others. Which isn't a problem if you never claim to know anything more than your single data point and other data points that you've read about. When I am asked or offer information about something I have never actually done I always start the reply with my lack of experience and that it is based only on what I've read elsewhere.

Even college professors profess their knowledge. It's still up to you to confirm and form your own opinion about a subject. Which means even if these guys were your college professors you should still be cross referencing them (with your textbook and other resources) to make sure they are correct. If it is true then there should be an experiment you can do to confirm how the conclusion/theory was formed (depending on equipment availability).

Rant over. One day I was trying to figure out why I found Julian's post easier to read and understand than aerohead's. It's been culminating in the back of my mind for a few days now.
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
The Following User Says Thank You to M_a_t_t For This Useful Post:
Cd (10-23-2020)