View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
There are other options. You could possibly tap your relay coil power from the ignition module instead, which should have power in both RUN and START positions but be off when the key is off. Then the lights wouldnt go out when starting. Itd do exactly like you described without the flashing. However youd also be running your lights if you need to be parked with ignition on to run your storm spotting gizmos. A DRL switch could take care of that but could be easily forgotten. Or just run the gizmos off constant battery power if theyre not already.

Thats why I like going off the fuel pump. They cant be on unless the engine is running. And I dont EOC. You could run yours off the fuel pump, and put a delay in there and set it for awhile longer than the longest you plan to EOC, then your lights will stay on the whole time and if you care what others think of them, thered be nothing for them to notice.

About your battery, I guess it depends on what kind of cold you expect there and how readily you can get and replace one when it goes. Mine, even when in marginal condition, work great all summer but once it starts getting even mildly cold out, I might as well forget it. I can expect many -20F winter mornings. But Ive got 3 reliable rides plus chargers and jump starters and getting and changing the battery is a cinch. So I milk mine as long as I can.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver