View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Charlie Cheap
EcoModding Pro

Common sense and MPG

Having spent over 50 years building custom cars/Street Rods I learned a lot about economy mods on specialty cars, especially building them from the frame up. My 1940 Ford coupe is one of the most aero cars built then and is still run at Bonneville. With a modified 289, Autolite 2100 (287cfm), hot ignition, torque cam (truck), dual exhaust, big car flywheel, 303 three speed, 29" tall rear tires, and 2.79 rear gears, it got 23 - 25MPG running the AC on the highway. I built the car after the 1973 gas crunch with MPG in mind. It had zero electronics and NO overdrive, just basic common sense matching of parts. The Autolite 2100 series carbs are considered the best ever made for economy due to Annular Atomization of fuel. Too much to explain here. I am/was an ASE certified mechanic, the Dallas Ares Street Rods charter president, the Mustang 6-cylinder go to guy on-line (My 32 Ford coupe and 65 Mustang were magazine feature cars), a city shop superintendent working on emergency vehicles where we converted to LPG, and a federally licensed gunsmith with my own 200 yard gun range. This is not to brag but to explain how an old guy built cars, guns, and understands electronics.

The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Cheap For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (10-04-2020)