View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sayyad
Aero Addict

TDI Jetta - '99 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Thanks; I've been reading the threads on here since the site started; I just started posting once I figured I had something to contribute.
I used Goo Gone and my favorite solvent, Elbow Grease, to remove whatever residue remained.
My car needs a paint job. It looks like the whole car was painted with a spray can of silver and a paintbrush of clear coat. Parts of the car always look wet due to the runs in the topcoat hanging down below the lower edges of body panels. The rubber seals around the doors have, on average, 2mm of silver overspray on them. In short, pretty terrible. I don't respect my paint.
Still, be careful when removing duct tape from a cheaply painted plastic surface. I managed to peel little bits of top coat and paint off the bits of the front bumper that were obviously not sanded before being painted (no primer either, as I can now see). Perhaps I should have removed the tape sooner or warmed it up before peeling it off.
On my bumper a few more tiny chips aren't really noticeable beside the rest of the rock chips and paint flakes.
No paint was removed from any metal body panels, and all the remaining tape residue came off easily.
I consider duct tape to be a very useful tool for repairing, modifying or prototyping many things. It has its downsides but a lot of the time cardboard and duct tape are the quickest and easiest tools for simple jobs.
"Keep your stick on the ice."