View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #77 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
Nemo, who designed that?! I will look up upgrading the Asus after I respond to everyone.

When I take apart devices I lay out screws in approximately the same position. This has served me well except for the time that my then-girlfriend walked between me and my laptop, kicking fasteners all over. My friend said that he always put the screws in a jar, but I would rather lose one or more screws than put a long one where a short one goes.

I just bought 350 screws for $7. I believe there were cheaper kits, but I think they had chrome screws, while the originals were black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Sorry Doug, that spare USB C docking station I had ended up working out for my sister.
Curses! I hate when things work out for other people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Did we determine that pulling a memory module for testing purposes is too much surgery to perform?
I could, but there are other hardware problems, so I will let the fine people in the repair sweatshop take care of it.

I have not worked on any of my projects, or more immediately important, my progress reports, because Mom's friend found out that she had cancer on Friday. She was so weak that she couldn't climb the steps into her mobile home. Mom said there were two and I volunteered to make a ramp, although I kept thinking that every mobile home that I had seen had four steps.

It has four steps. I figure that it needs far more structure than a ramp to climb two steps.

I spent hours on Saturday measuring and designing a ramp. The Americans with Disability Act recommends a 1' run for every 1" rise. She wasn't in a wheelchair, but she may be there soon.

I saw one client on Monday and went straight to Home Depot, but first I asked about renting a truck. I didn't want to buy 11 concrete piers(?), 34 2x4s, 39 2x6es, and 6 4x4s and then need to make endless trips with my Accord.

I think that it took me over an hour to pick out wood on my way to checkout, although I needed to track down another cart, and then a third. I think the rental cost me around $45, but it would have been $20 if I could have picked it up after I bought the lumber.

It did not take me long to drive less than 5 miles, unload, and drive back, although I wasted much more time because a buzzer went off when I parked. I turned on the light and tried to find a switch, then I called and asked if I needed to unload the truck with that abominable thing going off. He kept telling me that I needed to balance the load.

Eventually unloading brought balance to the force.

The lady was obsessed with me treating the wood and I kept thinking that Dad didn't let me treat the fence when I built it several years ago. It is a little grey, but still looks great.

I wouldn't have treated the wood if she didn't want me to. I tried to treat it before I built anything so that I had access to all of the surfaces, but my sprayer kept clogging.

Mom tried to drop off dinner, but nobody answered, and the friend did not answer the phone.

She is now in a hospital in the Phoenix area and it looks like she probably won't need that ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120736156_10224829810516659_4011478136744193936_o.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	29310