View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #134 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
What's the year, make, model, and CdA of this lovely looking car?
The caption with the photo on Hucho's website identifies it as "1936 Adler Autobahn"; no drag coefficient is given. That photo is also reproduced in the book, on page 25 of the 4th edition, simply as "a car with typical 'pseudo-Jaray-back.'" The paragraph referencing that image says,

Quote:
As the wool-tuft picture in Fig. 1.29 shows, the flow in the mid-plane of the slope remained attached over a long distance. However, the hopes placed in that seemingly smooth flow pattern were not fulfilled. As was discovered much later (see Section 4.4.5), two distinct longitudinal vortices were produced on both sides of the slope. These vortices induced not only a strong downwash between them keeping the flow in the car's longitudinal midsection attached, they induced also a high negative pressure on the slope and this produced very high drag.
This passage backs up JulianEdgar's empirical results of pressure-testing on the Insight I; if the flow was remaining attached only because of vortex downwash, you could expect to find high negative pressure there. IIRC from the images, with no spoiler the Insight saw a gradual pressure rise to -25 Pa from ambient at the trailing edge (please correct me if I'm misremembering).
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
sgtlethargic (10-09-2020)