View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 01:45 AM   #870 (permalink)
JulianEdgar
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It dawned on me that, in addition to passenger cars, the major automakers must also test full-size vans, delivery vehicles like the Sprinter, and all classes of commercial vehicles, up to Class-8, as Volvo, Isuzu, and Daimler-Benz does, as with their Freightliner Tractors, to mention a few; as well as Pentagon defense products from General Motors Canada.
A typical Aerohead argument, where he goes up some blind alley dementedly flogging a dead horse. (There: two metaphors in one sentence, and they actually work together.)

Professional race teams also invest in huge, moving floor wind tunnels - and they're not testing trucks in them...

It's been known forever that small wind tunnels have major problems in giving accurate data - not only because of the blockage factor but also because the length of the tunnel test section influences flow behind the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I had asked whether 0.25 cd was the measurement, and so I will take these two words, in context, as confirmation. 'Twas much fund crowd-funding your visit to that facility here. Thanks.
Well that might help explain the emotional investment that some people seem to have in Aerohead's tiny tunnel testing, but unfortunately the physics doesn't actually care about how much people gave to the cause.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 10-10-2020 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-12-2020)