View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 12:47 AM   #134 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I know of many options:
  1. Blow it up!
  2. Fire!
  3. Rent a grinder, chainsaw, trailer, and truck.
  4. Drill holes, apply stump remover, and check back monthly--forever.
  5. Wrap a chain around the stump, attach the stump to a farm jack, perhaps with a big board or steel plate underneath, and ideally with 2x4s bolted to the top, forming a tripod, and then bend the jack because you tried to break all of the roots and remove a bunch of dirt, too.
  6. Excavate and cut the roots, then use the farm jack as described above, and eventually have a huge mass of wood that you need to wrestle out of the hole and haul away.
  7. Cut an X in the top, inset wedges, and pound them with a sledgehammer. Repeat until you have completely broken the stump into pieces.
The redneck favorite is to wrap a chain around it, attach it to the bumper of your manly truck, maybe remove the stump, maybe rip off the bumper, etc. It seems like the better version of this is to park the truck, use a winch, and put a spare tire under the chain, but unless you have a small stump, I think that it is absolute idiocy to try to rip the stump and at least a couple of feet of roots and dirt.

This guy blamed the jack, but imagine if he spent an hour digging out and cutting the roots:

This is the one that I liked the most. It should be fast without the risk of fire spreading the short distance to the house:
It would also leave manageable pieces of wood.