View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post
do not confuse a 2 stroke gas engines problems with a 2 stroke diesel. they are very different engines.
Not sure who this is directed toward but I know most here already know that.

Historically they were always considered more efficient than the equivalent 4 stroke diesel (generally higher compression, lower weight, more power). In other threads I have stated I wished that 2 stroke gassers would be redesigned in a similar way as the 2 stroke diesels.

Now they are considered dirtier (2 stroke diesels), current detroit 2 stroke models do not meet the restrictive US Tier II req. (nor do many diesels) Many modifications were needed to get most motors in spec especially on 4 stroke HD motors which I deal with everyday. In fact we only have one motor that meets spec for our large equip from Cummins, CAT doesn't seem interested, Detroit seems lost on the subject.

When I state the water wash method I am talking going nearly 0 emission save CO2 and water vapor. Ultimately we need to get to there. Or better yet 0 emissions period. (electric/solar/wind/human )

Also note that the water wash really only works on diesel emissions, minimal effect on most gas emissions.