View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Charlie Cheap
EcoModding Pro

cam

MetroMPG, the cam specs are more important than most realize. Lift and duration seems to be the BIG info most understand, but OVERLAP and when the Intake Closes make a big difference. Think of it this way; if the intake is still open as the piston moves UP the cylinder, pressure drops lowering compression. The valve needs to be open long enough to fill the cylinder with fuel/air before it closes. Also, with a lot of overlap vacuum suffers, which is used to advance the timing on my points dizzy. I used a TRUCK cam used for pulling in pickups and Vans, putting the maximum torque in the 2000 to 3500 RPM range. I don't remember the duration, lift, overlap, etc. but it worked. The cool-air intake I made pulled air from in front of the radiator, which is about 50 degrees cooler. Say 90 outside, 140 under the hood over the exhaust. Notice I cut an eyebrow-opening on that side of the hood to vent heat also. This is TEXAS so "cold-air intakes do not exist...just cool-air. A denser air charge burns better and Hot Rod magazine proved it even on a stock motor. I make mine out of PVC because metal holds heat. Why pull in cooler air then heat it on the way to the carb? I am an ASE certified mechanic who retired from a city shop as superintendent and was charter president of the Dallas Area Street Rods. Much of my engine knowledge came from being a motorcycle nut for 2 decades as I studied the internal combustion engine.