View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Charlie Cheap
EcoModding Pro

Studying the internal combustion engine

I got serious about engine study as a young teen, and worked on my own motors from age 18. I built V8's for decades then bought a 6-cylinder for a daily driver. That motor was not a power house but was economical and moved the little Mustang well. It was a 67 with auto but no air. After selling my V8 powered 1940 Ford coupe I bought a 65 Mustang 6-cylinder with automatic and air to begin my study of smaller automotive engines in MY cars. The Ford 200" motor has the intake manifold cast into the head, making any intake mods a problem. My understanding of horsepower and torque gave me the knowledge to modify the little 6 for better economy AND HORSEPOWER. Matching parts is the trick, after deciding what one wants to do with the motor. Basically, building for torque in the rpm range expected. If a car turns 3000 rpm at 75 mph, then the cam needs to make it's torque in that range. Making a good hot-long spark in that range is also important. Allowing the engine to breathe better helps both HP and TQ. Matching transmission gearing, rear axle, and tire size makes a major difference in overall performance. Tuning also helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Cheap For This Useful Post:
Ecky (10-28-2020)