View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Charlie Cheap
EcoModding Pro

Getting better MPG

Rooster, I mix-matched parts to save money but also to get more MPG.
1. Reduce Drag...Lower the car and remove any "hang-on items." Narrow front wheels reduce friction/drag. The radiator fan causes engine drag, so use an electric fan, fan clutch, or flex-fan. The AC compressor hurts, so upgrade to a more modern Sanden if your car has an old Ford York. If using AC, once car is cool, cut the AC a little...higher temp. Actually open car windows cause a lot of drag, so using AC on a mild setting can be helpful...really. DO NOT hang mufflers or any under car parts lower than the body line. Bonneville cars often use a full belly-pan, and modern factory cars have partial pans up front under the engine. Air Dams help do the same thing...there is a lot of turbulence under there. 2. Weight...is a big MPG killer. DO NOT haul a lot of tools around in the trunk, or lawn chairs, ice chest, laundry, Beer, laptop, clothes, the kids toys, etc. and MPG will go up. If you never use the back seat (not talking Love Life)...remove it. Replace the spare tire and jack with tire sealer/foot pump/tire plugs. I used plugs in 120 MPH cop cars for over 10 years. Install as recommended. If you do 90% in town driving with gas easy to get...fill the tank half full. Half a tank of gas is heavy. If you want engine building tips...ask. I have done this for decades with cars that were 1948 or older (Street Rods) and later cars are much easier.