View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #120 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Attempting to time the market is a fools game
Agree here with a caveat. I've been meaning to invest in the market all along but hadn't. When March saw a 1/3 drop in market value, it was a no-brainer to jump in. Predicting the bottom is impossible, but at some point it should become obvious that there exists an opportunity to invest at a great discount.

Had I been investing in the market all along (dollar cost averaging) I'd have been money ahead even if I had somehow managed to time the market pretty close to the bottom. Since I hadn't done that, the perfect opportunity was in March, and I had been discussing doing just that with friends but was slow to shuffle funds around and really get serious about the plan.

That said, I believe the rapid recovery was largely people realizing this opportunity to invest at a discount. This is the dead-cat bounce. I expect another drop in market value the next round of lockdowns and city burnings, and as businesses begin running out of options to stay afloat. We haven't experienced the trickle down effects this massive disruption has been to the full extent.

I expected the drop in market value to occur right about now, so I'm clearly wrong. Now I tend to think we're looking at January or so.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!