View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 02:27 AM   #54 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
A small LFP battery can still work fine in the winter, the problem is you need to have a method of warming the battery so it can accept a charge. LFP is still more economical if you're willing to deal with a heater (a quick and dirty way to get it done is to have a heater pad that consumes enough power that an idle engine doesn't produce enough extra amps to charge the battery, and switch it on immediately after cranking).

I was talking to a manufacturer who can provide 40Ah LTO batteries (which can charge in the cold) in a plastic case with SAE terminals, but the cost is fairly high; The final cost if I were to resell them would be around $500. This would be a true no-compromise lead acid replacement that lasts forever, has ample reserve capacity, and has great cranking capacity. I've been thinking about starting a business selling these to luxury sports car owners, since they pay well over that amount for LFP batteries.

You can get a smaller LTO battery with no BMS for less money, and just run it with a balancing circuit. Used cells (which retain most of their performance since the LTO chemistry is more durable) should be able to get you around 20Ah for under 100 bucks total.
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-05-2021)