View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Charlie Cheap
EcoModding Pro

MPG mods

Rooster, the reason for going to higher voltage electrical systems is the use of electrical power steering, larger computers, electronic ignitions that are heavy electrical drains, and computer shifted automatic transmissions. Add electric torque converter lockup, bigger computer screens, and on-board TV for passengers, and electric demand goes way up. It sells cars/SUV's but I think we have forgotten the purpose of a car...getting us from A to B as efficiently as possible. When I sold my 1965 Mustang SIX, I mentioned to the possible buyer he would need to get use to people honking at him with a "thumbs-up." Just a minute later a car of teens pulled along side and did that very thing. He bought the Mustang. My Sunbeam will have an automatic overdrive A4LD with a lock-up torque converter that is controlled by a simple button. I am sure I could get 40 MPG if that was my goal, but sacrificing drivability would be compromised for other drivers not familiar with the car's unique driving needs. My cars can be driven by ANY normal driver without special training.