View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
whokilledthejams
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
Originally Posted by extragoode View Post
I've thought a couple times about using it as an injection mold in a plastic bag. Arrange plastic bag in hole you want filled, like a fog light hole, hold pressure on it until is stopped expanding, paint. A little trial and error with the amount injected would be necessary, but you would end up with a removable, perfectly shaped block if it worked like I think it should. I probably won't work that well, though.
I had an idea similar to this, except using aluminum foil to make a form. However, I could see a plastic bag working.

The biggest problem I would have is in trying to make a flush-fitting block for my lower grille. I've been brainstorming today, and I think I might cover the grille opening with foil (since it would keep its shape better than plastic), then covering the opening with foil or plastic covered cardboard (or some other semi-rigid material), and injection-molding that way. Then, I could take out the resulting piece, shape it, paint-prep it, attach it to the lowest part of my bumper (which is a separate piece of fiberglass), then smooth it all over with some bondo and paint.

In my head, this is an awesome plan, though it would probably be a huge headache. The upside is, despite the minimal aero gain vs. the coroplast block, it would hypothetically look nice.