View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
Charlie Cheap
EcoModding Pro

Rooster and others, here in the U.S. wide tires means W-I-D-E TIRES...like 13" wide tread and wider. My Sunbeam with 5" rims and 175x70R-14 on front and 185x70R-14 on the rear are almost skinny here in Texas. I am not an engineer but I read their books when building so I have a good idea why things are done. Fuel Injection is better in a modern car because they have computers that read sensors that tell what the motor is doing internally. Higher fuel pressure atomizes the fuel better for FI, but a good carb can do almost as good with 1/10 the pressure. A points system works fine but is not as accurate once above 5000 rpm...though a 4-cylinder with only 4 lobes on the distributor cam can go well above 7000 rpm with good spark. The points can also be updated with a hotter coil, lower ohms ignition resistor, the best available condenser, brass contacts cap, copper wires, and Iridium sparkplugs gapped a little wider. This makes a good long and hot spark. If one understands them, carbs, points, and matching all the pieces for economy can make a nice car even better. Maybe late next summer I will know. The motor is my 2.3 without boring or using high compression pistons. The back yard pix is my shop shot from the patio I built for the wife. She loves to sit in the shade in the summer and by a fire in winter and read...preferably with a glass of wine. I may do that if I ever stop building things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2140.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	29468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	29469