View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Mully,

You have to be careful here. You have 2 different types of tires that you are comparing, and that gets complex. So let's go over the details.

Your vehicle placard (It's on the driver's doorframe) ought to say the original tire were P245/75R16 (Notice the "P") inflated to 35 psi and mounted on 6.5" rims. This means the load carrying capacity of the tires is 2065 #.

The other tires are LT215/85R16 (Notice the "LT") Load Range E, and in order to carry the same load they need to be inflated to 55 psi. LT tires are built with the idea that they are going to used where the unit loading is high. (Meaning the load compared to how much material is actually used in the tire.)

Normally this might mean better fuel economy, but because these tires are small compared to the load they are trying to carry, the rubber compounds are stiffer - and if everything else were the same, that means more rolling resistance.

Without a doubt, this is going to hurt your ride quality - and my best guess is that you will not improve the RR and perhaps even hurt it.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!