View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
It would have been a one-line story, but it took a twist...

I search local online classifieds regularly for certain things, including EVs and Prius'...but occasionally check for cheap hybrids.

So a week or more before I bought it, I found it advertised. Very little information, no photos...color, mileage, IMA not working...$500. I got stupid excited and emailed him in the middle of the night and then called first thing in the morning...took a few calls, spread apart, but I got ahold of him mid-morning. Said i was calling about the Insight for sale. He said "Yes?" as in, go on...meaning he still had it...told him I'd like to see it ASAP...

Only to be told it was sold, and he was just waiting on the guy to pay and take it. He wasn't about to sell it out from under the guy.

I was so...deflated.

A week or so passes, I got an itch for a deal and a hybrid, go check out a 2010 Prius, that turned out to be an over-priced turd. Glad I was able to walk away, despite that itch. Get home, sit down...get an email from the Insight seller..."Still available, if you'd like to see it".

Send him an email seconds later, saying I want to see it, and as long as it can move under it's own power, I'll definitely take it. Even if it can't, I want to see it.

It will, he replies. I (more calmly) said "TAKE MY MONEY!!!!"

Set up a time to see it the next morning. As early as I could get him to.

Pestered him with questions in the minutes before going to bed, and some after.

Went the next morning. Has been sitting parked along side half a dozen other vehicles of his. Barely checked it over. He started it, I checked that the trans and clutch worked - couldn't drive it, not insured - and then asked him if he had the registration handy to sign it over. Paperwork, signature, viola!

I had the keys and paper work in hand, and had to remind him - twice!! - to take the money.

Went 10 minutes up the road, got plates and insurance, decided to play it safe, since it wasn't charging the 12v battery, and called a tow truck. Told it would be half an hour before they get there. Get called back before I get out of the parking lot, 10 minutes away. Tow truck beat me there.

He arrived with it at my house all of a couple of minutes after I got there. Offered to sign me up for BCAA for about $15 more than the cost of the tow, which covers 3 more free tows, so I signed up for BCAA.

And that's how I got BCAA coverage.

Wait, What?

*Totally just econerded out*
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-01-2020), freebeard (10-30-2020), MetroMPG (10-30-2020)