View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
Based on that, for a turnkey deal a 2021 Sienna Hybrid (claims 36mpg) is the only thing that comes to my mind right off, but for the cost I would suggest modifying your existing van a bit and use it.
I just watched the Alex Dykes video and hadn't been aware of how crazy efficient that new Sienna is. Seems like a better option than that Pacifica I mentioned unless the 30 EV miles would come in handy for daily trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Should i do this with my Metro?
Hey, looks like that one was hauling Electrathon cars.

I recently dove into the junk stored in the barn and found the frame of the car we built for the PGE races. Still would love to do something with it one day if I can get a Round Tuit.

That bent frame member is from hitting a car that was parked in the center of the race course. You'd think it nearly impossible to hit a parked car with the rear of the EV, but those races were hairy. Someone clips the car and it sends you spinning into the infield.

Our steering mechanism was crude and worked side-to-side rather than a turning wheel. The geometry made for steering that was more digital than progressive. With just a single bicycle brake on the rear rim, qualifying the car was part miracle, and part shenanigans. During one race the plate holding the brake mechanism broke off. I had to radio the driver to inform that not only would the brakes not work, but using them would probably tear up the spokes.

No wonder the program got cancelled, but things were way more fun back when they were way less safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	29508  

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 11-05-2020 at 07:29 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-05-2020), Hersbird (11-07-2020)