View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I got my license this September (still only 19) and I’m already disappointed with the design and economy of the cars I’ve tried. I want something sleeker, and more efficient.
Welcome. So say we all.

What you have here is a use case. The Ecomodder folk wisdom here doesn't necessarily apply to your situation. I would look to, say, the Gambler 500.

ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eco-off-road-budget-destroying-prius-you-decide-38366

From Permalink #2 there:

jalopnik.com/this-lifted-prius-trolls-jeeps

There's no problem with a lot of air under the car +belly pan -airdam. The ideal is a central air jet with spats shrouding the wheels*. Conveyor belting is your best bet, but keep the fabrication simple, just drilling a hole in it is hard.

This suggestion has two pieces — a U-shaped metal bracket and a piece of belting with two angled cuts. Leave the short end open so the belting can deform with impacts.

*See Aerocivic

edit:
Quote:
so I’m considering a front nose with a bit more upward sweep, like that of a Mustang I prototype or a classic Daytona. Would this shape be less efficient?
The point (no pun!) is the stagnation point. It determines how much air goes over or under the vehicle. Or in the case of the Cybertruck, down the sides.

Here's an example of a metal clip that would grip conveyor belt by the edge:

http://wpc.ac62.edgecastcdn.net/00AC..._PROD01_lg.jpg

Last edited by freebeard; 11-10-2020 at 04:35 PM..